Saturday, January 03, 2009

This week on 42nd Street -- 1983

Here are the double and triple features that played the Deuce twenty-six years ago this week. Theatres are listed in east-to-west order.

North side of the street

Rialto: ROAR OF THE LION / FIVE DEADLY VENOMS / CHALLENGE OF THE NINJA

Lyric: THE DARK CRYSTAL / CONAN THE BARBARIAN

Times Square: MASKED AVENGERS / SLICE OF DEATH

Selwyn: TOOTSIE / SILENT RAGE


South side of the street

Cine 42 – Theatre I: THE TOY / RETURN OF THE DRAGON
Theatre II: FISTS OF FURY II / SNAKE FIST FIGHTER

Harris: AIRPLANE II / ALIEN

Liberty: SAVAGE MAN, SAVAGE BEAST / BRUTES AND SAVAGES / FACES OF DEATH

Empire: DEATH STROKE / DEATH CHAMBER / ENFORCER FROM DEATH ROW

Anco: STILL OF THE NIGHT / FORCED VENGEANCE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris

Happy New Year.

Just been going through the electronic version of TOS. Wow. Just loving everything you're putting up. You know my dream is to get a grant to keep one theatre running as a grindhouse in perpetuity as an art project. Maybe set it in 1983 so there's a good back catalogue to work from. We can all dream I guess.

I just found a 35mm print of 69 Minutes - so thanks for putting up that poster. I'm also on the lookout for those missing films you've listed. There's a lot out there that no one has commented on... I have issues of trade mags from Cannes in the 70s that lists pics I've never seen mentioned again.

Anyway - I'll try and keep in touch more often now.

Be great to do a "where they are now' segment on zine editors. I saw David Williams on the net somewhere and a few others. I wonder now after Bill passing.. who else has that we never knew about.

I wonder what Richard Green is up to. One of the best writers back then.

cheers
ant

Temple of Schlock said...

Hi Ant!

Thanks for writing, and Happy New Year to you too. Good to hear from you. Tim Mayer has an online version of his FEAR OF DARKNESS and Nathan Miner of BITS AND PIECES wrote to me a couple of weeks ago to say hi. Tom Stockman (SHOCK REVIEW) and Mike Accomando (DREADFUL PLEASURES) sell posters and pressbooks on eBay. I still hear from Dave Szurek and John Donaldson occasionally. I ordered a couple of flicks from Craig Ledbetter about a year ago. Steve Puchalski and Michael Gingold, obviously, are still very much on the radar. I have no idea what happened to some of the others, like Jeff Smith (WET PAINT) and Rod Sims (GOREFEST). A "where are they now" is a great idea. I know at least two people who were doing books on the old 'zines -- one of them even interviewed me -- but I haven't heard any more about these projects in quite some time.

Let me know if you plan on showing 69 MINUTES in Austin this year. I'll fly down for that!

Thanks again and keep in touch,
Chris P.