Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson (1958-2009)



MICHAEL JACKSON
August 29, 1958 - June 25, 2009


I have nothing more to add that hasn't already been said in the past 15 hours -- and 40 years -- but I will say that I usually listen to music while I eat breakfast and this morning I reached for the Jackson 5's ABC album, which was my introduction to the future King of Pop in the mid '70s. I won't bore you with a review of a record that's as old as I am, but I'd like to single out a couple of moments that damn near brought tears to these baby blues today.

From "2-4-6-8," this blast of self-assurance from an 11-year old who was just getting started:

"I may be a little fella
but my heart's as big as Texas!
I have all the love a man can give
and maybe a little bit extra!"


These lyrics from "One More Chance" sound like they could've sprung from Michael the day before yesterday:

"Everybody loves the star
when he's on the top
But no one ever comes around
when he starts to drop.

Give me one more chance
That's all I ask of you
Just one more chance
I'll make it up to you."


And finally, the terrific cover of Funkadelic's "I Bet You" -- and the realization that George Clinton has now outlived Michael Jackson.

3 comments:

E.S. Coakley said...

This feels like such a nightmare...I can't believe this is happening...I can't believe he's gone...

I've been watching his videos all day...my sisters and I, nieces and nephews were doing all the dance moves! Haha! He was such a part of my childhood, such a part of my life...

Words can't describe how amazingly talented he was...

The world has lost someone so special...

venoms5 said...

This is a true breath of fresh of air to read a post and a comment on Jackson without focusing on his negative publicity of the last 25+ years.

I salute you Temple of Schlock and great site, by the way.

Brian (V5)

Brian Albright said...

My fave early J5 moment was that jaw-dropping cover of Smokey Robinson's "Who's Loving You?"