Tuesday, April 07, 2009

X, THE MAN WITH X-RAY EYES comic book



This comic book adaptation of Roger Corman's 1963 film X, THE MAN WITH X-RAY EYES was published not long after Western Publishing severed their ties with Dell and launched their own Gold Key imprint. As you can tell by the cover scan above, my copy has seen better days, but at least it's still in one piece. I don't think the artist watched the movie, because none of the characters in the comic resemble the actors who play them in the film.

A couple of sample pages...








5 comments:

Matt Bradshaw said...

Regarding your comment that the artist hadn't watched the movie, I think that was standard operating procedure at Gold Key. I used to read their Star Trek and Dark Shadows comics and based on some pretty inexplicable changes (Spock laughing? Say what?) it was pretty clear that the creative teams hadn't seen the source material.

Love the blog, keep up the good work, and thanks for the big honking plug for Omega Channel.

E.S. Coakley said...

Haven't read the comic or seen the movie...

With X-ray eyes, can you control the level of intensity? Like whether you see people to their bones or just see people naked?

Hostirad said...

I've been trying to track down for awhile a comic book I read as a kid in which a character looks up into the night sky and screams "The eye, the eye!" He stumbles into a revival meeting at the end of the story and is told, "if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out." Is this the comic book I have been looking for? If so, it would be awesome if you scanned the page with "The eye, the eye!"

Temple of Schlock said...

This is the one, John. I'll post the scans by the end of the week.

Hostirad said...

Thanks for the offer to scan the final page, but no need now--I found and purchased a copy from Atomic Avenue. Just fair condition, but only $4.00! I appreciate your post on this story, which enabled me to re-live an important experience from my youth!