Friday, August 28, 2009

Walt Disney's Treasury of Classic Tales

"Walt Disney's Treasury of Classic Tales" was a weekly syndicated comic strip that ran from July 13th, 1952 to February 15th, 1987 and serialized (usually in 13 weeks) the Walt Disney movies that were currently in theatrical release. I grew up a huge fan of the Disney live-action comedies of the 1960s and '70s -- especially the ones starring Dean Jones, Kurt Russell, Tim Conway and Don Knotts -- but only had limited exposure to the comic strip because the newspapers in my neck of the woods never carried it. I caught up with some of the stories when they were reprinted as comic books in the "Walt Disney Showcase" series...


...but many of the films, like the nine sampled below, never appeared in comic form again after their initial newspaper runs. I'd like to see these and others get reprinted in color eventually (Jack Kirby's adaptation of THE BLACK HOLE would be a great way to kick off the series), but for now I'm satisfied with the black-and-white copies I've been able to track down.

















3 comments:

Kris Gilpin said...

little ice cream cone-holding Kim Richards's death by Frank Doubleday in the original Assault on Precinct 13 was the cinematic shock of that year!

hobbyfan said...

Ah, those were good times. Not only did Kirby contribute to the series, but so did Dan Spiegle, who did a zillion of them, it seems. I wish I knew who did what, though.

Michael Liam Murphy said...

The art on the Shaggy D.A. looks like it's by Mike Royer...